Monument record MDR3621 - Boundary cross base of Harewood Grange, Harewood Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
[Area SK 29706765] (2) Square base of boundary cross of Harewood Grange, belonging to Beauchief Abbey, lying apparently in situ, on the moor about one mile west of Harwood Grange close by a continuation of Flash Lane, north of the road junction at B.M. 1114, at the end of ebeley Lane, and an equal distance from an old Guide stone to the north of it, near B.M. 1134. (1-2) Nothing of interest was seen in the indicated area, nor was B.M. 1134 identified. An old guide stone, published at SK 29496739, consists of a rough stone base and shaft and is probably 18th.c. This is probably the guide stone mentioned above, but just possibly the antiquity itself, misidentified. Mr. Kay is deceased; no further information. (3) Located at SK 29696769; and surveyed at 1/2500. See GP AO/66/187/6. (4) Scheduled. Medieval cross base of millstone grit with rectangular socket hole. 0.75m square and c.0.6m high, the sides are squared at the bottom tapering to the top. The socket measures 0.28m x 0.26m indicating it once held a rectangular shaft that is now missing. The base has been associated with a 10th Century cross shaft now in Bakewell churchyard. Alternatively the cross base may be associated with a boundary cross to the medieval grange at Harewood, or could be the base to a waymarker stone. (7) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (8)
- <1> SDR7493 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1936. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1936', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 152-154. p153-4.
- <2> SDR4140 Bibliographic reference:
- <3> SDR6310 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 13-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR6535 Bibliographic reference:
- <5> SDR12395 Index: OS. SK 26 NE 4. SK 26 NE 4.
- <6> SDR9539 Index: NDAT. 0329. 0329.
- <7> SDR18659 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2000. Scheduling Notification: Medieval Cross Base 780m SW of Arkwright Plantation. 31274. Cat. No.: 503.
- <8> SDR22281 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Medieval cross base 780m south west of Arkwright Plantation.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2969 6769 (5m by 4m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2015 10:00AM