[Area SK 258 657] A burial ground was revealed in 1857 at Rowsley in an angle of land at the confluence of the Wye and Derwent. The skeletons, with the heads to the north-west lay extended on the back with the arms by the side but with no trace of coffins. They were found in digging trenches to bury stone from old farm buildings being demolished to form a garden. Traditionally the graveyard of a chapel. (1)
[Name SK 2581 6578] Urn containing Human Remains found A.D.1857. (2)
Immediately northwest of the published site, garden walls are formed of upright stone slabs, known locally as 'Roman Walls' but quite possibly the remains of a grave-yard/chapel enclosure. The neck of pasture between rivers is scoured with water-worn channels and is obviously inclined to flood. Nothing of archaeological interest was seen. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p. 101.
Map: OS. 1898. County Series 1:2500 Derbyshire.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 14-JUN-66.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 257 656 (47m by 59m) (Centre)
ROWSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 3:57PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.