Building record MDR3634 - St Peter's Church, Jap Lane, Edensor
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Victorian - 1100 AD to 1867 AD)
Edensor Church was taken down and rebuilt in 1867, incorporating some of the old Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular work. (1) The church at Edensor, dedicated to St Peter, is a strikingly beautiful edifice, rebuilt in the Decorated style under the direction of the late Sir Gilbert Scott, R A, and completed in 1870. It consists of chancel with Cavendish chapel on the south side, nave, side aisles, porch, and west tower surmounted by a graceful spire. The old church dated from Norman times, and as much of the venerable fabric as could possibly be utilised has been preserved in the present building. The nave is separated from the aisles by four pointed arches on each side, four of which belonged to the old church. The porch also, with some restoration, is a remnant of that edifice; and some of the old tracery may be seen in one or two of the windows. The sedilia is modern and of beautiful design, and the pulpit and font, constructed of alabaster and various-coloured marbles from the Duke's estates, are exquisite pieces of sculpture (see source for more information). (2) In normal use. On the south of the church, at SK 2508 6989, three steps and a large socket stone carry a later shaft and sundial; the older stones are obviously the remains of a churchyard cross (see SMR 5114). Surveyed at 1/2,500; see G.P. AO 66/14/6. (3) The Church of St Peter is a Grade I Listed Building. It is a parish church with material dating to the 12th and 15th centuries, and was rebuilt in 1867 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It has been built in 13th century Gothic style, and is of ample and impressive proportions. It is built of sandstone ashlar, with Westmorland slate roofs, coped gables with cross finials to the east, and coped ridges. It has a west steeple, aisled nave with north and south porches, chancel, north vestry and a south-east chapel. The west tower is of four unequal stages divided by moulded bands. The north side of the chancel has a flat arched two-light window of cusped ogees, with genuine 14th century tracery. The vestry has a pointed arched doorway to the east and a plank door with elaborate iron hinges. Inside, the north porch has an inner doorway with a moulded arch on colonnettes, and a plank door with elaborate scrolled iron hinges. The 15th century south porch has a stone roof on a single chamfered rib. Re-set in the walls is part of a foliated cross grave cover is a carved shaft and capital. The 12th century round-arched south doorway has been much renewed. The church has four-bay nave arcades, with alternately octagonal and circular piers and responds. There are also crocket capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. The south-west respond is partly medieval, as are part of the third pier to the east, the west respond on the north side, and the third pier to the east. A small ogee arch to the piscina is medieval. There are pointed barrel-vaulted timber roofs to the nave, chancel and chapel. There is a huge monument in the chapel to William, First Earl of Devonshire, and Henry Cavendish - 1625 and 1616. It has been attributed to Colt. There is an old font in the south aisle, with a panelled bowl and stem, the bowl having trefoiled arches. It possibly dates to the 16th century. A medieval piscina is situated in the south aisle, and has a plain chamfered arch. There are hanging vase-like light fittings. The brass has been attributed to John Beton, 1570, servant to Mary Queen of Scots (see list description for more details). (6) Photographic record. (7) As a parish church, St Peter's is something of a contradiction. Although little more than 100 years old (1973), it has yet something in common with the ancient churches as it symbolises the link between lord of the manor and people. Here is a church provied (rebuilt) for the tenantry by their Lord in just the same way as the medieval lords provided for their people a place of worship. What remains of the former church has been incorporated into the fabric of the new to maintain the slender, if pathetic, link with the past- the south porch for example is an almost exact copy of its predecessor. Inside the church, the remains of two piscinas have been preserved and the old font from the former church (possibly Norman or Saxon) with trefoil decoration is kept in the church. Of the more modern furnishings of the church, the marble pulpit and the modern font with panels of Derbyshire alabaster are of note. In the graveyard, Kathleen Kennedy, sister of the assassinated John F Kennedy is buried. (8)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 179-80.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 364.
- <3> SDR6311 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 14-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR12384 Index: Ordnance Survey (OS). SK 26 NE 17. SK 26 NE 17.
- <5> SDR9681 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0843. 0843.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81686.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5113.1.
- <8> SDR23502 Article in serial: Sample, E. 1973. 'Churches of Derbyshire, St Peter's, Edensor', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. April.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2506 6990 (35m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:18AM