Monument record MDR3635 - Disc barrow (site of), southeast of Woodbrook Quarry
Type and Period (1)
- DISC BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
This disc barrow is 300 yards southeast of Woodbrook Quarry, Darley. Scheduled. (1, 2) Probably identical with a large disc barrow described as being "near Matlock" in which a segmented faience bead was found with a cremation. (3) This barrow was completely destroyed c. 1961. In the opinion of B Marsden it was never excavated. (4) This area is now a fir plantation; not the slightest trace of a barrow remains, though the indicated site is on a slight hill-crest. (5) A ring cairn and 4 small cairns were noted here before they were destroyed by afforestation in 1962. These could have been part of a larger cairnfield. The ring cairn has been described as a disc barrow, 11.0m in diameter with a number of upright stones in its bank and a central cairn or a robbed cairn. (6) Descheduled. (10)
- <1> SDR747 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales.
- <2> SDR7145 Article in serial: Heathcote, J P. 1957. 'List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 77. pp 30-37.
- <3> SDR12536 Article in serial: Stone, JFS & Thomas, L C. 1956. Proc. Prehist. Soc.. Vol. 22. p 78.
- <4> SDR6147 Personal Observation: F1 DJC 11-MAR-63.
- <5> SDR6588 Personal Observation: F2 FRH 14-JUN-66.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p 63 plan.
- <7> SDR9795 Index: NDAT. 1430. 1430.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <9> SDR10142 Index: NDAT. 2808. 2808.
- <10> SDR18507 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Descheduling Notification: Disc Barrow SE of Woodbrook Quarry. 90775.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2849 6570 (39m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 12:09PM