[SK 254 699] The foundations of the former town of Edensor can be clearly traced in a dry summer. The former High Street stretched from a point near the present north park entrance of Chatsworth as far as the private drive, beyond this it was continued in the old public road across the flat to the river which it crossed by a bridge. On the further side of the bridge stood the ancient mill. A few other houses straggled across the flat outside the town. All the buildings, except one, visible from the West front of Chatsworth were demolished in the mid-18th century. (1)
The old Edensor village has been almost obliterated without a trace; a little rig and furrow is evident in the parkland. The 19th.c. village is centred round the church at SK 251699. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Thompson, F. 1949. A History of Chatsworth. p25-6, 98, 236-7.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 14-JUN-66.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 253 699 (523m by 381m) (Centre)
EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:18AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.