Monument record MDR3639 - Field system and stone circle, Rabbit Warren, Beeley Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (5)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[Area SK 277685] A group of 15 to 20 cairns, with an embanked circle at SK 2781 6849 [see SMR 1445]. (1) The 'cairns' are the stone clearance heaps of a field system, at SK 280 684, further defined by stretches of banks and rough foundation walls. All appear contemporary, probably Bronze Age. Circle and linear features surveyed at 1/2500. (2) Further embanked circles, presumably cairn circles, are visible on air photographs at SK 2801 6837, SK 2808 6842, SK 2810 6838, SK 2813 6834, SK 2819 6838 where the circle is overlaid by the road, and at SK 2810 6838 where an inner cairn rim is visible. (3) 42-44 small cairns, with diameters ranging from 1.5m x 1.5m to 8.0 x 5.5m interspersed in a system of four narrow coaxial fields and sub-rectangular fields. Some abut banks, suggesting chronological depth, whilst others are centrally placed within fields, indicating contemporary clearance. (4) Approximately 46-50 cairns of various sizes - mainly between 2m and 5m in diameter. The cairns, both ovoid and circular in shape, were constructed from clearance stones. Several linear embankments of stone and turf defone small rectangular plots. At the eastern end of the field system is a small rectangular enclosure adjacent to the site of a possible circular building. (10)
- <1> SDR13458 Bibliographic reference: Rec. 6" (B.M.Marsden, 22.4.65).
- <2> SDR6311 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 14-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR825 Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey (OS). Aerial photographs 68/217/139-40.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. pp. 56-61, plan.
- <5> SDR9525 Index: NDAT. 0315. 0315.
- <6> SDR12390 Index: OS. SK 26 NE 22. SK 26 NE 22.
- <7> SDR9521 Index: NDAT. 0310. 0310.
- <8> SDR13395 Article in serial: Radley, J. 1966. 'A Bronze Age ringwork on Totley Moor and other Bronze Age ringworks in the Pennines', Archaeological Journal. Volume 123, pp 1-26.
- <9> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 104.
- <10> SDR17034 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 31242. Cat. No.: 449.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 280 684 (470m by 210m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:18AM