Building record MDR365 - St Anne's Church, Buxton
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Tudor to Jacobean - 1540 AD to 1625 AD)
A church of chapel size, without tower, aisles and no division between nave and chancel. The date over the north porch is 1625. (1) Originally St John's Church, as shown on the OS map of 1879. (3) The Church of St John, in Upper Buxton, was built in 1625 and restored in 1841. Since 1871 it has been used as a mortuary chapel and a Sunday School. (4) In normal use in 1966. (5) Although St Anne's Church has a datestone of 1625, the building is believed to be older. Recent research has indicated that the date was not on the chapel until the 19th century. The original dedication was to St John and the relatively small size of the building indicates its status as a chapel of ease within Bakewell parish. It appears to have been disused for a time in the late 18th century. It lay empty until 1817 when it was used as a schoolroom until 1840. After 1871 it was used as a mortuary chapel and a Sunday School, then restored to use as a church in 1885, when it was dedicated to St Anne. It was extensively restored in 1956-7. (6) St. Ann's Church on Bath road built in 1625, is the the oldest church, still standing, in Buxton. (7)
- <1> SDR14761 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 3266.. 3266.
- <2> SDR5584 Bibliographic reference: DOE: Listed Buildings..
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XV.13, 1879.
- <4> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 76-77.
- <5> SDR6379 Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-JAN-66.
- <6> SDR19528 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2002. Extensive Urban Survey: Buxton. Archaeological Assessment Report.. pp 17-18.
- <7> SDR22978 Bibliographic reference: Borough of Buxton Publicity Department. 1950. Buxton, The Spa of Blue Waters.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 057 729 (19m by 16m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:59AM