A church of chapel size, without tower, aisles and no division between nave and chancel. The date over the north porch is 1625. (1)
Originally St John's Church, as shown on the OS map of 1879. (3)
The Church of St John, in Upper Buxton, was built in 1625 and restored in 1841. Since 1871 it has been used as a mortuary chapel and a Sunday School. (4)
In normal use in 1966. (5)
Although St Anne's Church has a datestone of 1625, the building is believed to be older. Recent research has indicated that the date was not on the chapel until the 19th century. The original dedication was to St John and the relatively small size of the building indicates its status as a chapel of ease within Bakewell parish. It appears to have been disused for a time in the late 18th century. It lay empty until 1817 when it was used as a schoolroom until 1840. After 1871 it was used as a mortuary chapel and a Sunday School, then restored to use as a church in 1885, when it was dedicated to St Anne. It was extensively restored in 1956-7. (6)
St. Ann's Church on Bath road built in 1625, is the the oldest church, still standing, in Buxton. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Borough of Buxton Publicity Department. 1950. Buxton, The Spa of Blue Waters.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 057 729 (19m by 16m) (Centre)
BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:59AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.