Building record MDR3656 - Beeley Hilltop House and barns, Chatsworth Road, Beeley

Type and Period (1)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • Listed Building (II*)

Full Description

Probably early 17th century and an important building. T-shaped on plan. Stone, largely ashlar, with stone slated roofs, coped gables and stone stacks. Moulded string courses. Two storeys and attic. One doorway square framed and moulded and the other round headed with keyblock. Sashes and stone mullioned windows. Original wood staircase. Several rooms are panelled and have good overmantels. Moulded plaster Royal Arms of James I over one fireplace. Barn north east of Beeley Hilltop House 17th century. Stone with stone slated roof and coped gables. Two storey. Stone mullioned windows. Barn north east of Beeley Hilltop House, adjoining road. (1) Early 17th cenutry, altered 19th cenutry and 20th century. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings and quoins. Stone slate roof with coped gables. Ashlar ridge and gable stacks and a lateral stack. Three storeys. H-plan, truncated. West elevation has gabled projecting wings and recessed centre part. The left hand wing has a 5-light recessed and chamfered mullion window, a two-light (formerly four-light with a transom) above and a 3-light in the gable. All with horizontal hoodmoulds. The right hand gable has a four-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed window with a major mullion, and hoodmould. 19th century glazing bar sash to first floor beneath the broader 17th century hoodmould. Three-light recessed and chamfered mullioned window in the gable, also with hoodmould. Irregular fenestration to the recessed centre part. L-shaped rear elevation has on its south face three moulded bands, the top one continued across the gabled east face. The east face has two four-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows and a similar three-light in the gable. To the right a round-arched doorway with key and impost blocks, a blind single light above and a three-light window above again. The south face has a central doorway with moulded surround with to the left, a three-light square section flush mullion window and to the right a four-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. Two similar four-light windows above. The other elevations have similar two, three or four-light windows. Wall attached to south east, and ashlar gate piers with moulded capitals and ball finials. Dining room with chamfered segmental arched chimneypiece with moulded inner fireplace. Drawing room has 17th century panelling and a moulded stone chimneypiece. Splat baluster staircase mostly renewed. Bedroom in north west angle has 17th century panelling with fluted pilasters and frieze. Moulded stone chimney piece. Small door from the bathroom to the bedroom with trompe l'oeil painting to resemble deeply moulded panelling. Bedroom in north west angle has a carved Jacobean overmantel flanked by fluted pilasters. 17th century panelling and moulded cornice. Bedroom in south easy angle has 17th century panelling and moulded plaster frieze and ceiling with strapwork patterns. Moulded stone chimneypiece with carved arms of James I in the ovemantle and moulded cornice. The bedroom in the south west angle continues the plaster ceiling and has a moulded stone chimneypiece and panelled overmantle with moulded brackets and cornice. (2) (SK 2694 6841) Beeley Hilltop [NAT]. (3) The house stands to the south of the lane, partly obscured from it by farm buildings and by the back of the north-east wing of the house itself. The sides of the courtyard and the lawn are enclosed within a gritstone wall, pierced on the east side with what must have been the main entrance gate, the gate itself made of iron and flanked by stone gateposts. What can be seen today (1968) is only half a house, but at one time the house must have been symmetrical with another gabled wing on the south side of the east front, and possibly another long arm stretching out to match what is now the long stroke of the present L. Tradition has it that the south wing was knocked down by Cromwell's soldiers, but this is probably true only in a symbolic sense. During the reign of Henry III, the house on the site was called 'The Greaves' and was occupied by a family of the same name. Traces of what were thought to be 12th century masonry turned up in the house during recent alterations. Portions of the farm buildings may date back to the 13th century. Somewhen between 1539 and 1621 the house was rebuilt and enlarged under John Greaves, the exact date is unknown. The house was bought in 1747 by William, third Duke of Devonshire and the house was reverted back to a farmhouse, with the south wing being demolished. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Ministry of Housing and Local Government (MHLG). 1963. Ministry of Housing and Local Government provisional list, Bakewell, Derby.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1970. 1:2500.
  • <4> Article in serial: Christian, R. 1968. 'Derbyshire Homes, Beeley Hill Top', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. April.



Grid reference Centred SK 2694 6841 (22m by 39m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 1 2016 10:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.