Monument record MDR3661 - Rabbit Warren cairnfield and barrow, Rabbit Warren, Beeley Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 279688 (Group centred). Two linear cairnspreads along the tops of two ridges in the Rabbit Warren area of Beeley Parish. The southern concentration includes ringcairn SK 26 NE 31 as well as 45-52 small cairns. That to the north has some 29 cairns and a possible ring cairn that may be a robbed cairn. (1) Site occupies a well drained ridge - there are between 31 and 34 cairns of various sizes, the majority ranging between 2m and 4m in diameter, although there are one or two larger examples up to 5.5m in diameter. Many of the cairns are circular, but others are elongated where they may be associated with previous field boundaries. The cairns were constructed from clearance stone. Also associated are slight lynchets and probable field banks of stone and turf. This suggests the area was divided into field plots. At the north western end of the cairnfield stands the remains of a burial cairn or barrow. It measures 9.5 m in diameter and stands 0.5m high. The centre has been robbed for stone (rather than being a ring cairn). (10) Registered as a PPT (11) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (12)
- --- SDR18378 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 31243. Cat. No.: 450.
- <1> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p59 plan.
- <2> SDR9519 Index: NDAT. 0307. 0307.
- <3> SDR12390 Index: OS. SK 26 NE 22. SK 26 NE 22.
- <4> SDR10133 Index: NDAT. 2787. 2787.
- <5> SDR15202 Article in serial: Beswick, P and Merrills, D. 1983. 'L H Butcher's survey of early settlements and fields in the Southern Pennines', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Volume 12, pp 16-50.
- <6> SDR9525 Index: NDAT. 0315. 0315.
- <8> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500.
- <9> SDR17212 Index: NDAT. 2788. 2788.
- <11> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. BH00.
- <12> SDR22263 Unpublished document: Bell, S (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairnfield and Barrow on Rabbit Warren, 900m South East of Park Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 280 687 (413m by 372m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:18AM