Monument record MDR3698 - Burial cairn or barrow, Raven Tor, Beeley
Type and Period (3)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
A short distance to the south of the cairnfield at Ravens Tor is a cairn 8m x 7.5m in diameter. It is very near extensive quarrying and has been somewhat disturbed. It has a fine cist built of six slabs exposed at the centre; the capstone is missing. There are traces of two further possible cists elsewhere in the mound. (1) This cairn has been robbed for stone at its summit, revealing internal features. At its centre is a ruined rectangular cist with the probable capstone lying to one side. Other slabs, if not fortuitous, suggest two possible cists elsewhere in the mound - these are ruined. The edge of the barrow has small stone quarry pits in two places. (2) This small barrow was identified in the early 1980s by members of the Hunter Archaeological Society in an area that had been burnt in the relatively recent past. It is built of stone, measures 8 x 9.7m across and is 0.5m high. At the centre is a rectangular stone cist built of vertical slabs, with the capstone displaced to the south and the west side missing. Internally it measures c. 1.15m x 0.5m x 0.8m and is part-filled with rubble. Elsewhere there are the remains of two further possible cists (or fortuitously arranged slabs) - to the west are two leaning slabs set against each other and to the north are two vertical slabs set at right angles to each other. The barrow is of probable Later Neolithic or Earlier Bronze Age date. (3)
- <1> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. pp 62-63, Cairn 80.
- <2> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 29:34.
- <3> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. p 169, Feature 27.13.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2798 6649 (22m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2015 10:46AM