Monument record MDR37 - Cross base, Mellor Moor, New Mills and Stockport
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Cross base on Mellor Moor where Primrose Lane meets Black Lane. It is on the further side of a stone wall that flanks the road. Recently a stout oak cross has been fixed in the socket. (1, 2) "Stone Crosse" (1675). (3) The remains consist of a plain socket stone which is built into a field wall. It is 0.7m. square and 0.6m. high. It has the appearance of a boundary cross socket stone. Ground photograph AO/64/7/1. Ground photograph AO/65/110/2. (4, 5)
- <1> SDR12077 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1954. 6".
- <2> SDR15212 Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1904. 'Early crosses in the High Peak', The Athenaeum. No 4002. p 57.
- <3> SDR9208 Bibliographic reference:
- <4> SDR6416 Bibliographic reference: F1 JHW 18-MAR-64.
- <5> SDR6590 Bibliographic reference:
- <6> SDR14110 Index: NDAT. 1599. 1599.
|Grid reference||Centred SJ 9924 8747 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||STOCKPORT, STOCKPORT, GREATER MANCHESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 4:20PM