Monument record MDR3707 - Ring cairn and cairn, Little Bumper Piece, Darley Dale
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Circular mound of earth and stone representing a possible cairn c. 5m in diameter and 0.5m high. (1) This prehistoric feature comprises a penannular rubble bank which measures 8m x 9m externally, 5m x 6m internally and is 0.3m high. The northern edge is clipped slightly by a shallow braid of the adjacent hollow way. There are two possible interpretations of this site. One is that it is an Earlier Bronze Age ceremonial ring cairn, the other is that it is a barrow which has had its centre removed by wall builders. Nearby to the east is a low 2m diameter probable cairn built of small stones. This was observed in the early 1980s after vegetation had been burnt off. The cairn either covers a Bronze Age burial or is a prehistoric clearance feature. (2) This feature has been scheduled. It comprises a ring cairn standing in open moorland with an adjacent small cairn. The ring cairn has a penannular bank of stones and turf which measures 8m x 9m externally and 6m x 5m internally. The bank stands c. 0.3 to 0.4m high. There are no features visible within the ring cairn, but a hollow way has slightly damaged the outside of the bank that is otherwise in good condition. Circa 35m to the north east of the ring cairn stands a low cairn 2m in diameter. The cairn is likely to be funerary. (2)
- <1> SDR9804 Index: NDAT. 1448. 1448.
- <2> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. p 181, Feature 30.1.
- <3> SDR18660 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2000. Scheduling Notification: Ring cairn and cairn 750m NW of Bumper Castle. 31273. Cat. No.: 504.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 27725 65909 (52m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 12:09PM