Originally suggested continuing up the Derwent Valley, but isolated when the line pushed up the Wye Valley to Buxton. (1)
Old Rowsley Station. Building by J Paxton, 1849, an Italianate single storey stone building, three semi-circular headed windows with another blocked. Two doorways with segmental fanlights and bold bracketed eaves. Stone stacks and slate roof. Designed as the original terminus of the Midland line from Derby before it carved across the estates of Haddon and Chatsworth. (3-4)
A simple, rectangular, not quite symmetrical station office with pedimented gables and projecting eaves carried out on curved wooden brackets. Length 70 feet (21.33 metres), width 22 feet (6.7 metres). (5)
Formally the terminus of the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midland Junction Railway of 1849. It remained in use as a goods station after the opening of the new Rowsley Station with the Manchester extension of 1863 but is now subsumed into industrial premises. (6)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Rowsley Old Station (1971).
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 258 660 (12m by 27m) (Approximate)
ROWSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 3:57PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.