Monument record MDR3725 - ?Round barrow, Castle Ring, Harthill
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 2204 6282. TUMULUS (Site of) (Human Remains, Cist, Urn, etc., found). (1). TUMULUS (Site symbol).(2). No visible remains. The authority for the publication was not determined. (3). A destroyed round barrow south-west of Castle Ring. (5). A round barrow located on the south-west of a flat hilltop which is now destroyed or lost. The Ordnance Survey maps record a tumulus at this site, although there were no signs of a barrow at this location, nor any obvious modern disturbance. The origin of the claim for a barrow within the hillfort is obscure and likely to be spurious, especially as Rooke recorded the hillfort without mention of a barrow. The remains found within the barrow, as recorded on the Ordnance Survey maps were actually from site 32:7 locate at the foot of Robin Hood's stride. (6). Slide record. (7).
- <1> SDR11760 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1923. 6".
- <2> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <3> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p43.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1034.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 32:14.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 6706-1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2203 6281 (34m by 43m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2007 3:49PM