SK 2008 6260. The only barrow in a low situation in the neighbourhood of Middleton is in a meadow called Larks Lowe near the Bradford rivulet. It was opened on 20th May 1825 and 24th October 1851 when a cist was found containing a skeleton and on the eastern side of the barrow an urn covered by a stone upon which was an "incense cup" and a bronze pin. (1,3,8).
Tumulus. (5,11). Mutilation now makes the mound appear rectangular. Published 25" survey revised. (6). The barrow is 25 feet in diameter and two feet high. (7).
Larks Low barrow is c. 13 metres long, eight and half metres in breadth and 0.6 metres high. It is located on a slight slope near the valley bottom, with good visibility over the valley and surrounding ridge sides. The mound has been ploughed over but was originally c. ten metres in diameter. William Bateman and S. Mitchell excavated the barrow on the 20th May 1825, uncovered a cist with rectangular capstones which contained a decayed inhumation. On the eastern side of the barrow, they found a Collared urn filled with a cremation, a 'pygmy cup', a bronze pin (awl), animal teeth and bones, a circular pebble and a whetstone. The barrow was re-examined by Thomas Bateman on the 24th October 1851 when he opened a large trench. He found the cremation found in 1825, which was an adult and an infant with some flints, a bone pin and an animal tooth. A few pieces of unburnt human bone were also recovered, which is possibly part of the inhumation from 1825. (9).
The barrow became a scheduled monument on 4th February 1994. The monument is located in the central uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire and is a bowl barrow which includes a sub-circular one metre high mound measuring 13 metres by 8½ metres in diameter. Originally the barrow would have been more uniformly circular with a diameter of c.10 metres, but the profile has been altered by past agricultural activities. A partial excavation of the site was carried out by William Bateman and Mitchell in 1825 when a limestone cist or grave was revealed and found to cover a pit in the old land surface which contained the remains of two cremation burials and an inhumation. Accompanying these burials
was a collared urn and a smaller vessel known as a pygmy cup. Further human and animal bones were found in the mound above the cist in addition to quartz pebbles, a whetstone and a bronze pin. These remains date the barrow to the Bronze Age. (10).
Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (12)
Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p152,196.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 33-34, illus.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1855. Descriptive Catalogue of the Antiquities at Lomberdale House. G8, N7.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p83.
Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172. pp 166-168.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2008 6260 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (8)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2017 3:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.