Monument record MDR3728 - Deer park on Harthill Hall, Harthill (site of)
Type and Period (3)
- DEER PARK (Tudor to Georgian - 1500 AD to 1800 AD?)
- HOUSE (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Harthill Hall Farm [SK 2292 6458] (3) Gabled 17th century house with mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows. (1-4,6) By 1577 Harthill had disappeared as a village, since the Saxton's atlas marks only Harthill Hall on the site, complete with a park round it, "a classic example, it would seem, of the disappearance through imparking of a small village some time during the two preceding centuries". (4,6) There is considerable surface quarrying and some rig and furrow around "Harthill Hall Farm" but no trace of a deserted Medieval village. This is not outstanding for this area. (5,6) Land owner William de Harthill died in 1402 and the manor was passed to his aunt, Elizabeth and her family, including her husband Edmund Cokayne of Ashbourne. A tomb in Ashbourne Church dated 1537 of Thomas Cokayne has an inscribed cover claiming three parks, where Hathill could be one. The northern wall of cliff may mark the northern boundary. (7)
- <1> SDR6877 Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire. p378.
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p39.
- <3> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR7773 Article in serial: Wightman, W E. 1961. 'Open field agriculture in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp 111-125. p116.
- <5> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <6> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1051.
- <7> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 84-85.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 229 646 (827m by 362m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 10:38AM