Site record MDR3730 - Burial, Main Street, Winster
Type and Period (1)
- INHUMATION (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Two contracted inhumations were found in October 1856 in the garden of a Miss Worsley at Winster; along with them were found two iron spearheads, a small pottery vessel, a small curved iron instrument, a beehive quern and a small object of pumice annular in shape and quite unique. Classified as "Romanizing, or Celtic". (1,2). SK 2428 6056. Map of 1920 marks 'Human Remains, etc., found'. (3). The finds are not Anglian. A likely date would be the first century A.D. (4). However, Mrs. Meaney adds "they strongly resemble Anglo-Saxon 'half-burnt' burials" (5), while nevertheless listing the site as 'doubtful'. (4,5). It was confirmed that the published site falls in property formerly belonging to the Worsley family. There is no local knowledge of any later finds. (6). Listed by Challis and Harding as two contracted inhumations with two spearheads, pottery vessel and a beehive quern, under 'First Millennium BC Burials'. (7). Although the two inhumations were originally considered to be Saxon, they are now thought to be Iron Age, probably dating to sometime between the 2nd century BC and the 1st or early 2nd century AD. Artefacts associated with the burials, which included an iron ploughshare bar and quernstones, implied a settled farming lifestyle. (10).
- <1> SDR6839 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1954. 'The Anglian Settlement of the Derbyshire-Staffordshire Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 74, pp 134-151. p146.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 98-101.
- <3> SDR11737 Map: 1920. O.S. 25".
- <4> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. p49.
- <5> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites. pp 79-80.
- <6> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66.
- <7> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p4, 57.
- <8> SDR16233 Bibliographic reference: Whimster, R. 1981. Burial Practices in Iron Age Britain. British Archaeological Report, Brit Ser (ii) 170. p403.
- <9> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 99-100.
- <10> SDR19654 Bibliographic reference: Beswick P & Wright, M (in Hodges, R & Smith, K (eds). 1991. 'Iron Age burials from Winster', in Recent Developments in the Archaeology of the Peak District.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2428 6056 (28m by 31m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 30 2020 1:19PM