Twelve cinerary urns and three incense cups found at New Park Quarry (3) in 1926; three urns had been found in the quarry in 1925, and flint implements were found in the excavated material in 1926 and 1927. Site of Cairn. (4)
[SK 2421 6275]: T1: In 1925, during quarrying, workmen uncovered 3 'cinerary urns'. In 1926 a further two urns were found. Excavated by Storrs-Fox in 1926, eight collared urns and three pygmy cups were found. According to his report, all the urns were found in pits at the bottom of a bed of sand two feet deep. The bed of sand was covered with moderate-sized stones. One of the urns and one incense cup were deliberately covered with a large stone. Some of the interments were discovered in holes without the presence of an urn. Later, in investigating the area to the S and W, two more urns were discovered, one of which was found beneath a 'large, upright, pillar-like stone'. Apart from the urns, two quartz pebbles, two flakes of flint and two fragments of bronze were discovered. (9)
Storrs-Fox conjectures this may be a small, flat cemetery or urn-field. After excavations a further five flints were discovered. (3)
The presence of such a large quantity of finds indicates an area of intense burial activity. Storr-Fox's description suggesting a burial monument or a flat cemetery area, may be supported by later investigation by the Heathcotes which produced evidence of low, barely discernable cairns where 'no trace of a mound was visible, but a few stones showed above the surface of the ground'; on excavation further stones were found, indicating a cairn with two extensions and three interments. (9)
New Park Quarry has been disused for several years and is now mostly backfilled. The quarry expanded south and east during the period between the OS large scale map revisions of 1920 and 1967, and Heathcote's location map depiction of T1 places it with the limits of the quarry shown on that earlier edition. Examination of the fringe areas of the quarry revealed no evidence of the excavated area or any associated monuments, it is highly probable, therefore, that the site has been totally destroyed by quarrying. (6)
Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. p. 40.
Article in serial: Storrs Fox, W. 1927. 'Bronze Age Pottery from Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 11, No.199.
Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1930. 'Excavations at barrows on Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 51, pp 1-44. p27-9.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 1. T1.
Map: OS County Series. 1922. 1:25000 Derbyshire. XXVIII 12.
Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. sk2462/2562.
Article in serial: Anon. 1927. 'Notes', Antiquaries Journal, 1927. vol. 7. vol. 7, pp. 67-69.
Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1939. 'Excavations at Doll Tor Stone Circle, Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 60, pp 116-125, plan.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2421 6275 (10m by 10m) (Surveyed)
STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 2:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.