Monument record MDR3752 - Probable clearance cairn (T24), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (2)
- NATURAL FEATURE (Undated)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 2481 6331] T.24. (1) The cairn was excavated between 1931 and 1933. (2) It is described by Heathcote as being an oval-shaped cairn, 4.8m by 2.7m, by the side of a large stone which was originally thought to have been upright. It is suggested this stone may have been associated with the ring cairn T56. The mound was assessed as being artificially constructed but no interment was found. Heathcote states that the original constructions were left in situ and that the interior stones were replaced after excavation. Although a plan was made it was never published. When subsequently investigated in 1966, T24 was described as 'a small heap of stones, probably clearance, and of no archaeological importance. The supposed standing stone is a natural prostrate'. (3, 4) The feature was not recorded in a later survey of monuments on Stanton Moor (7), but a more recent study locates T24, but is unclear whether it is natural or man-made. (5) Situated on the slight east facing slope of a localised crest, the remains of this excavated and partially rebuilt cairn are visible as a loose, oval-shaped stony mound, measuring 5m by 2.6m and 0.3m high. Many largish slab-like stones are visible in the mound, three of which are upright and possibly in situ. From examination of the area this feature originally formed part of a section of rubble clearance alignment traceable for some 21m west of T24 and probably an extension of a field system to the north and west. Interpreted by Heathcote as a cairn, excavation has removed the evidence to substantiate this. Failure to locate an interment during excavation would indicate that the monument was either a field clearance cairn or part of a linear clearance feature. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. p. 40.
- <2> SDR7502 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1939. 'Excavations on Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, N. S. 13. p. 115.
- <3> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <6> SDR19168 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 1. T24.
- <7> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. pp. 77-110.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24774 63304 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:40PM