Monument record MDR3756 - Cairn (T49), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 24827 62783: CAIRN. At a position 155m E of T2 and 48m SW of T50 are the remains of an excavated cairn. The present cairn is loosely formed, generally 'D' shaped in plan, the west side being almost straight and clustered around a large earthfast boulder. A loose revetment kerbing retains the mound. The whole is surrounded by a narrow Heathcote excavation delineation trench. Two substantial earthfast stones mark the NW corner. Without excavation evidence to indicate the function of the cairn, interpretation is conjectural. The gathering of stones around a large earthfast boulder may be primarily associtated with stone clearance, although the possibility of a funerary context cannot be discounted. (3) The cairn ('49') first appears in the archaeological record, depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Partial excavation was undertaken (4), but no excavation report was published. Field investigation by the OS failed to locate the cairn. (2, 5) In a later study a feature at the position indicated for T49 on Heathcote's map is described as an oval cairn measuring 4m by 3.5m. (6) A further survey (in which T49 is classed as a burial mound) lists measurements for this monument as being 3.6m in diameter and 0.3m high. (7)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <3> SDR19168 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 1. T49.
- <4> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <5> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66.
- <6> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <7> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24828 62784 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:40PM