Monument record MDR3757 - Cairn (T52), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 24750 62980: T52: CAIRN. This cairn is situated on the general E facing slope of Stanton Moor precisely as indicated on Heathcote's map. The present shape and form of the cairn have been greatly influenced by the Heathcote excavations and the cutting and laying of a 20th c ballast bank across the W side. The cairn now appears as sub-rectangular in shape, 6.6m by 4.5m. Although the stony material which marks the site is indicative of a cairn, the present shape and form cannot be used for classification. It is possible that the remains represent the much altered E side of a cairn, the W side of which was heavily distrurbed by the railway bank. This is one of three cairns in a straight NE-SW line, the others being T53 and T54. (3) [SK 2474 6296]: T52. This cairn first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) At least partial excavation was undertaken (4) but no excavation report was published. During field investigation by the OS, this cairn along with T53 and T54, was described as having 'no intelligible remains'. (2, 5) Later surveys of monuments on Stanton Moor describe T52 as an excavated rectangular cairn, measuring 7m by 4m (6); 5.4m by 2.7m and 0.6m high (7) and more recently as a sub-rectangular, flat-topped platform. (8)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <3> SDR19168 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 1. T52.
- <4> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <5> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66.
- <6> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <7> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 76.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24750 62980 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:40PM