Monument record MDR3768 - Birchover - Stocks at site of former village
Type and Period (1)
- STOCKS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 240 617] Upper Town is traditionally the original site of Birchover (see SMR 1617). There are stocks by the lane junction, restored in 1951 (1-2) No trace of a former village was seen at Upper Town and "Allen's Croft" was not located. The stocks are at SK 23996175. See G.P.s AO 66/6/1. (3) Village stocks at the junction of Upper Town Land and Clough Lane. The stocks are of wood and iron and are of historic and local interest (4) Photographic record (5)
- <1> SDR221 Bibliographic reference: Heathcote, J. 1947. Birchover: Its Prehistoric and Druidical Remains. pp.36-37.
- <2> SDR406 Bibliographic reference: C. Porteous.
- <3> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E12 - 23.11.1970.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 240 617 (110m by 150m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2003 10:19AM