Monument record MDR3775 - Calvary Chapel, Cliff Farm, Gratton
Type and Period (4)
- ALTAR (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CAVE (Unknown date)
- HERMITAGE (RELIGIOUS) (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 21596191 Calvary Chapel. (1) A Calvary Chapel at Burycliffe Wood was discovered in 1896. This is a small natural cave in the gritstone, with an altarpiece of three crudely carved crosses and a now illegible inscription. There are no early records of the cave. (2) The altarpiece was badly mutilated and not photogenic. The cave was surveyed at 1:2500 at SK21586192. (3) This cave may also be known as Hermit's cave at Burycliff as this is also known to have three crosses. (4) Reference to the Chapel is listed in the 'Queries' section of the Derbyshire Advertiser, 1894. (5) 'About half a mile west of Robin Hood Stride is a cave in the gritstone which has apparently been used for devotional purposes. On the eastern face of the cave is an altar piece with three crosses, rudely carved, together with an inscription now illegible. A natural passage connects this cave with another shallow one a few feet eastwards. Both are considerably weathered by wind and rain. A gutter has been cut above the altar to divert water away from it. The cave may have had some connection with the ancient Chapel which formerly was at Gratton'. (6) The chapel is first recorded on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore predates 1899. (7)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0991.
- <3> SDR6392 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0862.
- <5> SDR11689 Article in serial: Derbyshire Advertiser. 1894. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Notes and Queries, Derbyshire Advertiser. Volume 2. 1897, vol. 5, p172.
- <6> SDR19403 Bibliographic reference: Heathcote, J. The Crucifixion Hermitage at Cratcliffe Rocks. Also notes on the Berrycliffe Hermitage, Rowtor Hermitage and Rowtor Chapel. p10.
- <7> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2158 6192 (15m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GRATTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 30 2015 8:48AM