Stanton Hall, Grade II*, is a large rambling house of several distinct periods and styles. The earliest part is probably c.1600, followed by a considerable late 17th century range and finally a large rectangular block dated c.1800 of five by five bays. It is constructed of stone with slated roofs and stone stacks. The late 17th century range is three storeys with sashes and a balustraded parapet. The latest portion is 2 storeys. There are some coped gables with ball finials. The main front has a central pediment of three bays and a semi-circular Doric porch. There are a few stone mullioned windows in the original portion. (1)
The revised listed building description dates the minor country house as early 18th century, possibly with a 17th century core, a large addition of 1799-1800 by Lindley of Doncaster, minor alterations in the 19th and 20th centuries and a further addition to the east in c.1920. For full details, see the list description. (2)
Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR)Bakewell RD, Derby, July 1963,47..
Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR)Dist of West Derbyshire, Peak Dist Nat Park,Feb 1985 28-30.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3716.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2410 6416 (41m by 46m) (Centre)
STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2015 11:09AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.