Monument record MDR382 - Possible Barrow, King Sterndale
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 08 71: Kingsterndale, Round Barrow: Barrow adjacent to that excavated by T. Bateman in 1853 [SMR 8809]. He described it as being thoroughly destroyed. (1,4). The mound was not located. (2). This may well be a reference to the ruined Gospel Hillocks barrow (SMR 8808), which is close to the road and likely to have been seen by Bateman during his visit to site 8809. (5). Point has been removed from the map as the location of this ?barrow is unknown. (6).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 89.
- <2> SDR20137 Personal Observation: Baird, J. 1966. Pers. Comm..
- <3> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. p 534.
- <4> SDR14584 Index: NDAT. 1358.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 5:2.
- <6> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 08 71 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||KING STERNDALE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2019 3:27PM