Monument record MDR3825 - Possible Romano-British settlements, Thieves Den and Carrs Wood, Harthill
Type and Period (2)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 228630 (Carrs Wood) and SK 229625 (Thieves Den). (1) Foundations of huts and paving were observed prior to 1947 in the wood to the north of Cratcliffe Rocks (see also SMR 6702). (2) Possible dispersed Romano-British settlement, comprising of rectangular structures. These are partially excavated, yielding 2nd and 3rd century coarse ware pottery. These features may represent a Romano-British settlement. (3) Two minor Roman settlements comprising circular stone huts on shallow scooped platforms cut into the hillside, fronting small yards. The huts have very substantial carved door sill stones, suggesting double-eaved doors. The Heathcotes cleared several of the interiors prior to afforestation and recovered sherds of 2nd to 3rd century coarse ware in the 1930's. (4) This dispersed Romano-British settlement, comprises rectangular structures. There are a number of platform sites with boulder parapets, covered by 15 to 20 year old conifers. The finds, originally in Heathcote Museum, are now in Sheffield City Museum. (5) It seems likely that the 'prehistoric settlement' (SMR 6702) is in fact part of the Thieves Den complex. (6)
- <1> SDR13438 Bibliographic reference: RCHME NMR Excavations Index: Derbyshire 90.
- <2> SDR221 Bibliographic reference: Heathcote, J. 1947. Birchover: Its Prehistoric and Druidical Remains. p3.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0342.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p98.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2866.
- <6> SDR13300 Personal Observation: R1 MRB 07-OCT-91.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 228 628 (269m by 328m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 20 2015 12:17PM