Trough on the east side of the Bakewell-Grangemill Road. The trough is metal edged with lead inlaid inscriptions recording the distances 'WINSTRE', 1 mile, and 'BAKEWELL', 4 miles, and the date of provision of the trough, 1826. The trough is fed by a pipe through the field to the east. (1) Reputedly provided for horses moving lead from the area. (2) Length 7ft, breadth 2ft 8ins, height 18ins . (3) Photograph (4)
BRIMSBURY WELL: In 2003 the trough from Brimsbury Well was returned to the Parish Council by the owners, Derbyshire County Council, following an agreement that the Parish Council could be the custodian of the Well in perpetuity and therefore free to repair and reposition the trough within the village. The trough requires repairs, particularly to the rim, which occurred when it was stolen from its roadside position on the opposite side of the road near the track leading up to Robin Hood’s Stride. (5)
The trough is now positioned on the pavement near the Red Lion in Birchover with a plaque reading: "Originally used as a milestone and drinking supply for horses around the outlying villages. Many of the horses carried lead and stone from local mines and quarries. It was re-located, from the nearby Ashbourne to Bakewell road below the village, to its present position in 2003." (6)
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Deadman,A : 26/6/73 : E43.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2295 6212 (point) (Centre)
BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2008 10:57AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.