Building record MDR3833 - Old Forge Farm and shaft, Broadmeadows Cottages, Harthill
Type and Period (5)
- HOUSE (Victorian to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)
- LEAD MINE (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- OFFICE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
A shaft at the back of the cottages was used for climbing down into the Shining Sough drainage level, Hillcarr Sough, Broadmeadows and Blyth and water pressure engine chamber. The cottage was once the Agent's house. (1). The cottages were the headquarters of the Alport Mining Company. (2). Broadmeadow Mine. This occupied building, now a row of cottages built in three phases, is documented as the offices of Alport Mining Company. It lies adjacent to a vein and it is thought the building lies over a shaft. A deep shaft (and hillock) nearby leads to a hydraulic engine chamber. (3). Broadmeadow Cottage and Broadmeadow Offices. A grade II listed set of offices, now row of three cottages, dating from the early 19th century with later alterations. It was constructed of coursed limestone and gritstone rubble, roughcast to end cottages, with gritstone dressings and quoins to either end. The roof is stone slate with stone gable end and ridge stacks. The buildings are two storeys and the end cottages each have two bays, whilst the central cottage has a single bay with a single bay outbuilding to west. Formerly the offices for Alport Mining Company. [For full description see the Listed Building record DDR 5353]. (4).
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Willies L, 18/01/1982, C144.
- <2> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. p104.
- <3> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. B21, p183.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2240 6437 (93m by 46m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2013 10:57AM