Tunnel driven to feed water to the hydraulic Guy engine. Following the creation of the Alport mining company in 1839 by John Taylor, Guy engine was constructed. It had a downfall column of water of 132 feet in 40 inch pipes to the hydraulic engine 210 feet below the surface. The water to work the engine was brought from the Lathkill in pipes on a wooden aqueduct over Alport village and along this tunnel to Guy shafts. (1). The tunnel entrance is arched and there is a collapse not far in. It was built in 1841. (2).
Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 43,101-102,105.
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Willies,L, 29/12/74, C92.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2220 6447 (10m by 4m) (Centre)
HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2008 3:20PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.