(Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Shaft within which the hydraulic pumping engine was installed following completion of the Guy tunnel (SMR 6738) in 1841. It was made by the Butterley Company for the Alport mining company and installed in Guy shaft in 1842. It had a cylinder diameter of 50 inches and a stroke of 7 feet. Iron pipes carried water from the Lathkill on a wooden viaduct over Alport village, through Guy tunnel to Broadmeadow shaft (SMR 6734) and then to Guy shaft. Water then dropped 132 feet in 40 inch pipes down the shaft (11 feet 4 inches by 10 feet 4 inches), now a water filled hollow. The engine was at 210 feet below the surface and worked at 70% efficiency. It pumped 5000 gallons per minute from 140 feet below the sough. The rods were 2 feet square pitch pine and performed five strokes per minute. A model is in the science museum, London. (1).
Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. p86.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2209 6396 (51m by 57m) (Centre)
HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 3 2014 4:41PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.