(Georgian to Victorian - 1813 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Hydraulic engine installed here by Richard Page in about 1813. He was engineer until 1842. It was installed to work together with the hydraulic engine in Crash Purse Shaft, which was another Trevithick design, installed in 1805. It was later moved to Old Engine Shaft (SMR 6741). Both engines were supplemented by a third in 1819, Blythe engine, installed in Broadmeadow shaft. (1). Shaft placed on Bacon Close Vein. (2).
The main identified archaeological interest is Page's Shaft, a fine grilled example of a large engine shaft. Elsewhere there are large but somewhat damaged hillocks and a rebuilt beehive cap. There is ecological interest on the large but damaged hillocks. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 102-103.
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Willies, L, 29/12/1974, C91.
Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 7, site no. N176.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2186 6380 (314m by 252m) (Centre)
HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 23 2013 4:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.