Monument record MDR3864 - Cairn and an unlocated cairn (T58), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 2513 6330 Tumulus [O.E.]. (1) T.57. A rim sherd of a Food vessel was found on the surface of this large barrow with a flint arrowhead. (2) SK 2513 6330. Large cairn, diameter 15m, 2.2m high, intact apart from mutilation of the centre and covered by a scattering of earth and overgrown by heather. A second cairn was not identified. (4) SK 2512 6334: T58. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (2) There is no documentary evidence of a Heathcote excavation, although there is ground evidence to suggest that he did. (6) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 failed to identify this monument. A later survey recorded a cairn measuring 4.5m diameter and 0.5m high at the position indicated on Heathcote's map. (7) SK 25113 63335: CAIRN. The excavated cairn is approximately circular with a diameter of 4.0m and 0.4m high. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. The perimeter of the cairn is defined by a loosely laid revetment kerb of larger stones. The cairn material is composed of an unconsolidated mixture of small and large stones, indicating it has been excavated and replaced. (8)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. p. 40.
- <3> SDR8479 Article in serial: Manby, T. 1957. 'Food vessels of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 77, pp 1-29. p. 24.
- <4> SDR6449 Personal Observation: F1 RWE 20-NOV-62.
- <5> SDR18151 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1995. Scheduling Notification. 23315. Cat. No.: 365.
- <6> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <7> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <8> SDR19216 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moore, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 4. NAR Nos. SK 26 SE 11 -12, 34 -63. Part 4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2513 6332 (20m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:40PM