[Area SK 295 602]. Two urns, once containing an incense cup and calcined bones, were found in a cist in February 1848, during the construction of the Rowsley and Ambergate Railway, in a field by the side of the Derwent, immediately north of Matlock Bridge. The larger urn was broken by the excavators and the smaller is now in the Bateman Collection in Sheffield City Museum. (1)
In February 1848 the construction of the Rowsley-Ambergate railway unearthed two urns. One was a collared urn, containing a cremation, and another smaller urn. The larger urn was covered by a limestone slab and enclosed in a rough cist. An empty food vessel was found nearby. They were found in a field just to the north of Matlock Bridge. (4, 5)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p. 244.
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 02-MAR-66.
Article in serial: Illus London News 12 No.302 84.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 118.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 295 602 (100m by 100m) (Centre)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2017 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.