Scheduled Monument record MDR3871 - Moated site and fishponds, Snitterton Hall, South Darley
Type and Period (2)
SK 2802 6047. Snitterton Farm. Manor House [G.T.] (Remains of). (1) The site of the original hall at Snitterton is still clearly defined by a rectangular moat, now drained, one side of which has been filled in to make the road from Matlock. This must not be confused with the dyke immediately behind the present Elizabethan hall. The outer measurement of this moat is about 200 ft. square. (2, 3) Snitterton Farm is much altered and modernised farmhouse incorporating a few remains of an earlier 17th century building. GP AO/62/85/6 shows the SW aspect. The moat (surveyed at 1:2500) is centred at SK 2801 6055 on gently sloping ground adjacent to the farm. It is now dry and well defined on all sides except the east which has been infilled. No foundations are visible in the enclosed platform. (4) First mentioned in Domesday as 'Sinitretone' it was one of several berewicks belonging to Matlock Bridge. The de Snitterton family assumed the lordship of the manor from at least the Norman conquest. Late 13th century documents record that Jordan de Snitterton held a house or group of houses with attached demesne land within Snitterton Manor. It is believed that the moated platform was the site of these buildings. The monument survives as a 10m wide moat, up to 1.5m deep, surrounding a square, central platform. A break in the southern arm of the ditch indicates the site of a causeway which would have provided access to the interior of the platform. The eastern arm has been infilled, probably when the turnpike was built in 1759. The platform measures 50 x 50m and retains internal features: a series of low banks are thought to be the remains of walls: these stand to a height of 50cm. At right angles to the eastern arm of the moat are two sunken compartments defined by a series of low, linear banks measuring c.35m long, and 16m - 10m wide, and surviving to a depth of up to .75m. These are interpreted as fishponds. (5) Photographic record. (6) Site monitoring has been carried out. See form for details. (7)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR15956 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria History of the Counties of England. pp. 357-97. p. 390.
- <3> SDR16140 Bibliographic reference: Andrew, W J. 1904. Paper to Derbyshire Archaeological Society.
- <4> SDR6436 Personal Observation: F1 RL 22-NOV-62.
- <5> SDR18134 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2000. Scheduling Notification. 29974. Cat. No.: 475.
- <6> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 29/19a-20a.
- <7> SDR22233 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2011. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Moated Site and Fishponds 300m NE of Snitterton Hall.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2799 6055 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH DARLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 15 2020 9:56AM