Monument record MDR3872 - Fissure burials, Cawdor Quarry, Matlock Town
Type and Period (1)
- INHUMATION (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Area SK 291 604. In April 1893 the remains of four skeletons were found two or three feet below the surface, between two vertical beds of limestone at the Cawdor Quarries, opposite the gas works, near Matlock Bridge Station. The discovery was made in extending the workings in the direction of Megdale Farm. The space occupied by the bones was about two feet square and was covered by a large stone. No mound was observed but the fissure beyond the limits of the grave was filled with large stones 'believed to have been placed there'. Although no implements were found, the interment was probably prehistoric. (1)
- <1> SDR17812 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1901. 'Notes on a prehistoric burial place at Megdale, near Matlock Bridge', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 23, pp 40-47.
- <2> SDR6198 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 02-MAR-66.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 70.
- <4> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 63.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1435.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 291 604 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2018 2:34PM