Holt House, Ladygrove Road, Darley Dale, is a Grade II* listed building of late 18th century date. It is three storeys high and constructed of ashlar. (1)
Three bay, 1½ storey house, in stone with extremely elongated main floor windows, and elongated pilasters at the sides and centre. Built by D Dakeyne Junior in 1800-1, it was the HQ of a small local bank. In the grounds is a gothic building with lancet windows and a 1416 datestone. (2)
Holt House, built in 1770/80, was the principal home of the Dakeynes who owned the textile mill on Ladygrove Brook (SMR 9831). They also ran their own bank from the house, known as the Bank of Darley Dale, which issued its own bank notes, some of which are still in existence. The strongrooms in the semi-basement area were intact until the 1970s. Adjacent to Holt House on the east is a large barn constructed in the style of a chapel, with a datestone of 1416 above the door. (3)
Gardens and former parkland at Holt House, Two Dales, Darley Dale, (SMR9858)
Chapel-style barn, Holt House, Two Dales, Darley Dale, (SMR9878)
Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR) UD of Matlock, Derbyshire, Oct 1972, 16.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3721.
Bibliographic reference: Jackson, L. 2002. Darleys in the Dale: Echoes from the Valley. pp 62-63.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2839 6275 (20m by 20m) (Centre)
DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.