Monument record MDR3904 - Eyam Moor, Cairn Group
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 2216 7855] TUMULUS [O.E.] [SK 2222 7855] TUMULUS [O.E.] [SK 2238 7859 & SK 2254 7864.] TUMULI [O.E.] [SK 2258 7778] TUMULUS [O.E] (1) Several tumuli on Eyam Moor were opened 1827 and 1828 when urns and burnt bones were found. (2) A cairn group, maximum height 0.8m. Published surveys (25") correct. (3) A small cairnfield with 5 cairns originally suggested however only 2 appear to be genuine. SK22187857 is actually quarrying debris. SK22237856 is probably a cairn with a diameter of 5.5m, the centre of which has been robbed- caution should be used in this interpretation as it is in the vicinity of some quarrying activity and may be thus related. SK22387858 is believed to be a natural knoll with some evidence of having been quarried. SK22507866 is a cairn measuring 13.5m by 12m by 0.5m and has a cratered centre. SK22557878 has a diameter of 6.5m and is thought unlikely to be a cairn and probably a quarry pit with adjacent debris. (4) Photographic record. (20)
- <1> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p26.
- <3> SDR6103 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 16-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p35.
- <6> SDR16774 Index: NDAT. 0915. 0915.
- <7> SDR15915 Bibliographic reference: Ward, J. 1905. 'Early Man', The Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p394.
- <8> SDR16775 Index: OS. SK 27 NW 16. SK 27 NW 16.
- <9> SDR16776 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B89. B89.
- <10> SDR16777 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B90. B90.
- <11> SDR16778 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B91. B91.
- <12> SDR16779 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B92. B92.
- <13> SDR16780 Index: HAS. 1972. Peak Park Treasures B93. B93.
- <14> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p18-100, 73, 93.
- <15> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:13.
- <16> SDR103 Bibliographic reference: Rhodes, E. 1818. Peak Scenery. Volume 3, Part 1.
- <17> SDR12595 Article in serial: Pegge, Rev. S. 1785. 'A Disquisition on the Lows or Barrows in the Peak District', Archaeologia. Volume 7.
- <18> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5472.1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 221 785 (200m by 200m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2000 12:00AM