In Eyam churchyard stands the finest of the Derbyshire crosses. It is 8ft 3ins high and 20ins by 15ins in section at the bottom, tapering slightly, and the arms of its head are 3ft 3ins across. The upper portion of the shaft is missing and also a small piece from the bottom. The eastern face is covered with vine-scroll. Within a circular panel at the intersection of the arms is an angel, and angels are also carved on each arm. On the western side there are interlace panels and figure sculpture. The cross-head is ornamented with angels similar to those on the eastern side. Anglian, 8th century. (2)
Tradition says that the cross was found on one of the neighbouring moors, at a crossing of the Manchester and Sheffield old road, and was removed to the churchyard by the Rev. Thomas Seward who died in 1790. (3)
About 2ft of the top of the shaft is missing. The sexton in 1818 remembers it lying about in the churchyard and then being broken up by villagers. About 30 years earlier, Howard (prison reformer) had found the head lying in a corner and it was then put back on the (incomplete) shaft. (4)
See GP's AO/65/95/7 & 8. (7)
An eighth century or probably early 9th century Anglian cross, the finest in Derbyshire, stands in Eyam churchyard (8)
SK 21 76 PARISH OF EYAM, CHURCH STREET 6/28 (North Side) 9-9-51 Churchyard cross, 6 metres E of Church Porch (formerly listed as Eyam Saxon cross) GV I Cross. Early C9. Stone. Square stone base with tapering shaft, topped by Celtic cross. East face of shaft decorated with foliage scrolls, north and south faces with interlace. West side of shaft has circular interlace to base with two figurative scenes over, the Virgin and Christ above, below angel with trumpet. Over, head of cross decorated with carved angels in panels. Section of shaft missing at top, otherwise cross is unusually complete. The Cross is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument (9)
Photographic record. (10-11)
This monument comprises of a shaft and crosshead. Since the two pieces do not match together (the upper part of the shaft appears to be missing) they are better considered as two separated pieces although, since they are both of the same school and are of similar dimensions, they are likely to be from the same cross. Neither can be described as 'Celtic', however. (12)
Site monitoring was been carried out in 2012 and the site appears not to be under threat. (13)
A digital copy of a drawing of the cross at Eyam, made by General Pitt-Rivers, was sent to the HER via the Pitt Rivers Museum. It was drawn in 1883/4 when he was first Inspector of Ancient Monuments. It is from a newly-discovered album of images donated to the museum by the Pitt-Rivers family. (14)
Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Images (digital).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2178 7640 (2m by 2m) (Centre)
EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 14 2015 4:19PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.