Monument record MDR3908 - Site of cairnfield and possible embanked stone circle, Top O'Riley
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- STONE CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Two cairns or barrows and a large stone circle surrounded by an earthen bank with an entrance, "if not two", formerly stood on the Top of Riley. Urns containing ashes and bones were found in 2 nearby cairns that were then destroyed. (1) Circle and four barrows shown north-east of Eyam and south-west of Grindleford Bridge. (2) The sites of these features were not determined. The name "Top of Riley" is no longer used locally but probably refers to area SK 226768. (3) [SK 23007719]. A circular bank, smaller in diameter but otherwise similar to the Eyam stone circle [SMR 5452], also possible sites of four cairns, visible on aerial photographs. (4) Nothing now survives of the cairnfield at Top of Riley, all sites were destroyed upon enclosure. The cairnfield probably stood somewhere on the gentle east-facing slopes between Top Riley and Maglough Farm on land between 300 and 380m OD. A stone circle was recorded here by Wood (6) in 1842, who noted that there was 'recollection of a very large circle of stones of very high unhewn pillars, surrounded by a circular ridge of earth. It had an entrance if not two'. This has been interpreted by Aubrey Burl (7) as a possible circle-henge. However, the location suggests that it was far more likely to have been an embanked stone circle, similar to Wet Withens [SMR 5452]. Wood also noted two cairns nearby which were found to contain cremations in 'urns' when they were destroyed. Bateman (8) noted two urns were found at Top O'Riley in 1828; one contained 'ashes and arrowheads of flint. (5, 9)
- <1> SDR16784 Bibliographic reference: Wood, W. 1842. History and Antiquities of Eyam.
- <2> SDR15926 Map: Ward, J. 1905. Map published in the Victoria County History for Derbyshire. 1/4" = 1 mile. p 158.
- <3> SDR6103 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 16-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR11772 Aerial Photograph: OS. O.S. A.P.s 68/288/099-100.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p 71.
- <6> SDR16784 Bibliographic reference: Wood, W. 1842. History and Antiquities of Eyam.
- <7> SDR15292 Bibliographic reference: Burl, A. 1976. The Stone Circles of the British Isles.
- <8> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p26.
- <9> SDR17013 Monograph: Barnatt, J. 1990. The Henges, Stone Circles and Ringcairns of the Peak District.
- <10> SDR16786 Index: NDAT. 0918. 0918.
|Grid reference||SK 23 77 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2010 2:59PM