Listed Building record MDR3916 - Bradshaw Hall, Hawkhill Road, Eyam
Type and Period (4)
- MANOR HOUSE (Jacobean to Georgian - 1611 AD? to 1791 AD)
- COTTON WORKSHOP (Georgian to Victorian - 1791 AD to 1840 AD?)
- BARN (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1840 AD? to 1962 AD)
- BUILDING (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1962 AD to 2050 AD)
Bradshaw Hall, Hawkhill Road, Eyam, the standing, ruined part of an originally 17th century building. Bradshaw Hall was erected at the east end of the old Stafford Hall in the 17th Century. (1) Bradshaw Hall was the Manor House prior to Eyam Hall. Only one smallish building remains [in 1953]. (2) The hall collapsed in 1962. (3) Photographic record. (4) From the remains of Bradshaw Hall that survive, together with photographs of the structure taken before its collapse in 1962, it is clear that Bradshaw Hall was an extension or wing attached to the east side of Stafford Hall, the mansion house of the Stafford's. The largest portion of Stafford Hall is said to have been pulled down in about 1790, the remainder being converted into a cotton factory worked by horse power. Before its destruction it had been converted into small dwellings inhabited by miners. During its use as a cotton factory the surviving part of the building suffered a fire which probably destroyed its original roof. By the later 19th century and up until its collapse, the Hall had become a barn and a cow-house, the majority of its windows blocked up with stone. A record written in the late 19th century states that 'from the adjoining land it is possible to trace the outline of even the previous structure of the Stafford's', although elsewhere the foundations are recorded as being removed in the mid-19th century. The earliest plan of Eyam which shows the buildings is the enclosure award of 1812. This shows the Hall in its reduced form. Little evidence remains for the interior of the Hall, although a photograph of the principal fireplace was taken before its destruction in the collapse of 1962. It occupied the centre of the west wall of the room directly opposite the two large windows on the east side. In 1999 it was noted that the remains of the Hall were continuing to deteriorate, despite being a listed building. (5) Documentary evidence suggests that the Stafford family were granted land in Eyam in the late 12th century and resided there for around 13 generations, although Stafford Hall was possibly not constructed until the reign of Henry VI (1422-61). This earlier hall was documented as being an extensive building with a flat roof covered in lead, and with floors of polished black oak. Bradshaw Hall was built as an extension to the east of the earlier hall around 1611. This later extension was built in Elizabethan style from high-quality local sandstone masonry and was three storeys high. The Bradshaw's abandoned the hall during the outbreak of the plague in 1665 and did not return. The hall was later converted into a horse-powered cotton mill. It is thought that the earlier hall, which was being used as tenements for lead miners, was demolished at about this time for being in a ruinous condition. There was a serious fire when the hall was being used as a cotton mill, having been converted in 1791, causing substantial damage to the roof and the loss of some of the hall's original character. The building began to deteriorate as the cotton industry continued to decline in the area, and the upper floors were removed in 1892, at which time it was described as a barn and cowshed. It collapsed in 1962 following subsidence of the southwest corner the previous year. The northern two-storey corner, along with fragments of the east and west walls, are all that remain today . In 2006 a photographic recording and evaluation trenching was carried out at Bradshaw Hall prior to proposed redevelopment of the site. The trenches exposed the foundation course and some of the original floor level of Stafford Hall. This earlier hall was confirmed to share its eastern end wall with part of the west wall of the later Bradshaw Hall. A significant amount of pottery was also found during the evaluation, most of which was 18th century in date and utilitarian in form. (6) A desk-based assessment was also carried out in 2006. (7) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 21 76 PARISH OF EYAM HAWKHILL ROAD 6/53 (West Side) Ruins of Bradshaw Hall 25-6-74 II Ruins of former country house. Early C17. Coursed gritstone rubble. Gritstone dressings and quoins. No roof. Two storeys, irregular plan, East facade, most complete, two blocked, recessed and chamfered mullion and transomed cross windows with linked returned hoodmoulds. Above, to South, recessed and chamfered 2-light window with hood, now blocked. To north, advanced bay with two inserted doorcases. To east, lean-to with slate roof. Above, to north, 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window. West walls collapsed with only chamfered flush quoined doorcase remaining to north. Listing NGR: SK2156176732.' (8)
- <1> SDR358 Bibliographic reference: Wood, W. 1883. History of Eyam 1883. p 214.
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. pp 217-8.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised.
- <4> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5407.1.
- <5> SDR20482 Unpublished document: Askey, M. 1999. Bradshaw Hall, Eyam. An Architectural History..
- <6> SDR20790 Unpublished document: Shakarian, J and J Brightman (ARS Ltd). 2006. Photographic Recording and Evaluation Trenching at Bradshaw Hall, Eyam.
- <7> SDR24452 Unpublished document: May, R (ARCUS). 2006. Archaeological Desk-based Assessment of Bradshaw Hall, Eyam, Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334917.
|Grid reference||SK 2156 7673 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2020 8:59PM