Monument record MDR392 - Round barrow (?site of), Fox Low, Harpur Hill
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 067 712: Excavations by Bateman on 3.6.1850 have previously been attributed to SMR 2822. However this is almost certainly in error as Bateman described his barrow as removed to within a few inches of the rock and of large diameter. SMR 2822 is only of moderate diameter, is 1.1m high and largely intact. Thus Bateman's site must have been elsewhere in the vicinity. (4)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p66.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p26.
- <3> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines.
- <4> SDR2626 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 1989: PDBS, site 7:35, (DAAC)..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 067 712 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2014 3:09PM