Padley Chapel was originally a private chapel attached to the Manor House of Padley. The Fitzherberts were the owners in 1588 when two priests, Nicholas Garlick and Robert Ludlam, were arrested while serving mass and were later executed. Since that time the chapel has been turned to secular uses, as barn and shippon attached to a farm, but on January 1 1932 the building was acquired by the rector of St Mary's, Derby, and restored to religious uses. The first service was held on July 13 1933. (1)
Padley Chapel (RC) was originally the eastern compartment of the gate-house of a 14th century mansion the remainder of which was demolished c1650 [see SMR 7408]. (2)
Padley Chapel is a Grade I listed building, a former gatehouse and chapel, now a Roman Catholic chapel. It is of 14th and 15th century date, with later alterations, and was formerly part of a quadrangular house, the foundations of which survive to the north east. It is constructed of coursed squared gritstone, massive to the south west elevation, on a low chamfered plinth, with quoins, a decorated corbel table, a massive projecting stack to south west wall, and a stone slated roof with cross finial to south east end. Inside is an altarstone from the ruins of the adjacent manor house. Hearths survive at ground and first floor levels on the south west wall. The building is used as a chapel to commemorate the martyrdom of Nicholas Garlic and Robert Ludlum, Catholic priests, who were arrested at Padley Hall on 12 July 1588, and executed at St Marys Bridge, Derby on 24 July 1588. The Fitzherbert family of Padley Hall were subsequently persecuted, John Fitzherbert dying in the Tower of London in November 1590. (4)
Photographic record. (5)
Article in serial: Williamson, F. 1933. 'Padley Chapel', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 54, p 6.
Article in serial: 1939. 'Excursions and addresses .. 3rd excursion .. Padley Chapel', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, p 197.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-NOV-65.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1335033.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7407.1-16.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2467 7895 (15m by 18m) Centre
GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2023 9:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.