Monument record MDR3928 - Cairn, Abney Moor, Abney and Abney Grange
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A small cairn 3.6m in diameter and 1m high 'on the elevated tract of shale-grit near Abney Low' was opened in 1896 by Mr. Micah Salt and his son, though he was specific as to the cairns location. Charcoal and a flint flake on the natural surface were the only indications of interment. (1) SK 20087925. Although the cairn has been identified from aerial photographs (2) the actual site could not be determined from the ground in 1965 (11) and as such may be inaccurate or may have been destroyed by subsequent agricultural activity.
- <1> SDR16183 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1897-1899. "Notes within the proceedings for Jan. 26 1899", Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries. Volume 17.
- <2> SDR782 Aerial Photograph:
- <3> SDR6103 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 16-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR15834 Bibliographic reference: Turner, W. 1899. Ancient Remains Near Buxton. p120.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p8.
- <6> SDR16892 Index: NDAT. 0018. 0018.
- <7> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <9> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Sites 30:23, 30:B.
- <10> SDR16188 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1899. 'The Archaeological Congress at Buxton', Buxton Herald.
- <11> SDR16895 Index: OS. SK 27 NW 40. SK 27 NW 40.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2008 7925 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ABNEY AND ABNEY GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2018 1:21PM