[SK 2317 7548] Church. (1)
St. Martin's Church, Stoney Middleton has a perpendicular west tower to which a new church was added in 1759. (2)
In normal use. (3)
Grade II* listed Parish church of 15th century and 1759 date. 1759 part attributed to Paine by Cox. Partly restored in 1861 and the north vestry added 1880. Coursed squared gritstone to west tower. Coursed squared limestone to body of church. Gritstone dressings and quoins. Plinth continuous plain stringcourse at impost level to nave and chancel. Bracketed eaves to nave aisles, moulded eaves cornice to clerestory. Hipped and pyramidal slate roofs. West tower, octagonal nave with ambulatory, projecting chancel bay and north vestry. 15th century two stage western tower has deeply moulded 19th century pointed west doorcase with traceried tympanum. Hoodmould over. To south side, 2-light cusped Y-tracery window with hood. Above to west is the clock face. In second stage there are four Y-traceried louvred bell openings. Embattled parapets with crocketed corner pinnacles above. To east, 18th century octagonal nave has central circular leaded windows in raised ashlar surrounds to north-east, north-west, south-east and south-west. To east, projecting rectangular chancel bay with semi-circular headed 3-light square sectioned mullioned window with transome at impost level and projecting keystone and imposts. To north, low vestry with semi-circular headed windows to west and east. Similar door to west. Above, octagonal clerestory lantern with leaded Diocletian windows across full width of each side. Interior: eight angled piers with moulded cornice at impost level and mouled arches, supporting central lantern. Similar chancel arch. Semi-circular piscina to south. Semi-circular headed vestry door to north. Pyramidal roof trusses. 19th century pews in ambulatory facing inwards. 19th century wooden pulpit. 1945 war memorial in stone behind alter. Two brass wall memorials to Fynney family, one of 1704, the other of 1790. Contrasting marble wall memorial of 1887 to Reverend Urban Smith. Screen between tower and nave designed 1938 and completed 1952. 20th century octagonal font with moulded edges and shields to sides of bowl in tower. (4)
Photographic record. (6)
Stoney Middleton Church claims distinction as being, probably, the only octagonal church in the country. St. Martin's was built by Joan Padley in thanksgiving for the safe return of her husband from the battle of Agincourt. Set in a hollow, the church is surrounded by Peakland scenery. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p330.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 17-NOV-65.
Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1984. DOE(HHR) District of West Derbyshire.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 2706. 2706.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 13128.1-2.
Article in serial: Derbyshire Life and Countryside. 1962. 'Country Churches, a Derbyshire symposium', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. June/July.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2316 7547 (21m by 13m) (Centre)
STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2015 12:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.