Monument record MDR3930 - 'Roman' Bathhouse, The Nook, Stoney Middleton
Type and Period (2)
Wall of ancient bath near the warm spring, close by the west side of the churchyard at Stoney Middleton, taken (but probably without good reason) to be Roman work; destroyed before 1824. (1, 2) [SK 2318 7554] BATH. [SK 2318 7555] Mineral Tepid Spring. (3) 'Roman' Bath House. Grade II listed ruined bath house, dating from the early 19th century. It is built of coursed gritstone with gritstone dressings. A roofless structure, formerly stone slated. Single storey with two bays with a single room to each bay, each one containing a bath, and one containing a fireplace. Probably built by Lord Denham owner of nearby Stoney Middleton Hall. Tepid mineral spring to the west. (4) The published bath house, now in ruins, in stone, is probably 18 to 19th century in date. Nothing attributable to the Roman period was seen. (5). Hot springs utilised for medicinal baths. The 18th century building is now ruinous. It is believed that the Romans had baths on the same site. In 1981 the Parish Council decided to try to purchase the spa building. (6) Similar 'Roman' baths exist in Home Wood, Stoke, Bradwell and Tulford House, Bakewell. (7) Photographic record. (8-10)
- <1> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I.
- <2> SDR15953 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. Victoria County History. Volume 1.
- <3> SDR11736 Map: 1919. O.S. 25". 25".
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <5> SDR6105 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 17-NOV-65.
- <6> SDR16862 Index: Burrell, D M. 1976. Peak Park Treasures: B4.
- <7> SDR16863 Index: Burrell, D M. 1984. Peak Park Treasures: E257.
- <8> SDR16864 Photograph: PPJPB. 'Roman' Baths at Stoney Middleton.
- <9> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 473.17a.
- <10> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 13157.1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 231 755 (11m by 7m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2016 11:12AM