Monument record MDR3938 - ?Ringwork, Castle Hill, Stoney Middleton
Type and Period (1)
- RINGWORK (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'The eminence known as "Castle Hill" is a conical summit on the Bank, Stoney Middleton, commanding a good view from the south. It is undoubtedly an old British earthwork or watch tower with a surrounding wall and a vallum, or ditch, leading to another similar hill called Castra Bank…Much might be gleaned by excavating at the summit by means of a pick and shovel. At the demolition of an old barn belonging to Dennis Ragg, of Stoney Middleton Bank, in 1806, an iron battle axe 4 feet long was found in a side wall…'. (1). 'Castle Hill, a village landmark...The hill is surmounted by a circular earthwork, and an ancient battle-axe and other articles have been brought to light from time to time'. (2). Small semi-circular earth platform, probably a site for a summer house and of no archaeological interest. (3). Stoney Middleton - Castle Hill ringwork is situated on a small hill and is well located to command east-west traffic. A ditch some 8-10m wide encircles a flat platform, oval in plan and 12-25m across. Pot-sherds of 13th to 14th century date have from time to time been revealed by the activity of moles. (6). Photographic record. (7).
- <1> SDR17067 Bibliographic reference: Cowen, T E. 1941. In Derbyshire Dales. p 13.
- <2> SDR17068 Article in serial: Daniel, C. 1954. 'Stoney Middleton', Derbyshire Countryside. Vol 20, pp 64-66.
- <3> SDR6108 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR17064 Unpublished document: Marshall, S. Manuscript at Sheffield City Museum. S28108.
- <5> SDR17066 Index: NDAT. 2710. 2710.
- <6> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 146.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 13131.1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2306 7554 (92m by 102m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 7 2007 10:11AM