Monument record MDR3944 - Early Lead Smelting Possible Site
Type and Period (3)
- SMELTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SMELTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LEAD WORKS (Undated)
- None recorded
[SK 21687739] Mound published - not named (1) Bole Hill [SK 217 774] - cf. Ralph le Bolere, who occurs in a charter of 1300 [Indicates an early lead smelting site.] (2) The published mound is part of minor quarrying and spoil heaps and probably marks the approximate site. (3)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p92.
- <3> SDR6108 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR16913 Index: OS. SK 27 NW 56. SK 27 NW 56.
- <5> SDR16914 Index: NDAT. 0885. 0885.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 217 774 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2000 12:00AM