SK 2403 7615. Stoke Hall (NAT). (1)
A grade II* listed country house dated 1757 on a rainwater head at the rear of the house and built for the Rev John Simpson. It is built of ashlar gritstone with boldly projecting eaves cornice on corbelled band, a shallow parapet with ball finials, ashlar ridge and mid-roof stacks anti stone slated roof coverings, the roof to the principal range being hipped. It has an irregular plan, seemingly five by five bays, but with a two-storey range to the north, and projecting wing to the rear (east). The principal range west elevation has a symmetrical five bay front and is of two and a half storeys. It has glazing bar sashes to the ground and first floors, some with substantial glazing bars. There is a central doorway with Tuscan columns and entablature, supporting the base of the central first floor window which has a segmental pediment, splayed architraves and a blind balustrade at its base. The south elevation has a central doorway with pediment, splayed architraves and an interrupted blind balustrade within a shallow semi-circular headed arched recess. There is an attached service range to the north. The west elevation of this range is of two storeys, nine bays, with advanced quoins to the ends of central range, and double quoins at the south end. The central three bays glazing bar sashes are within flush stone surrounds, those to the ground floor are tall, and with the northern-most surround having a key block. A central doorway has an advanced frame and a semi-circular head with key block. The northern three bays are possibly an addition. Inside the house, although it has been subjected to substantial 20th century alterations, it retains several good interiors, particularly the ground floor, which has a handsome decorated plaster ceiling and fine fireplaces. A full height turned baluster staircase survives in each of the principal and service ranges, the former with associated decorative plasterwork to the stairwell and landings. The Rev Simpson was a subscriber to James Paine's Plans, Elevations and Sections of Noblemen's and Gentlemen's Houses (1767) and it is thought that the Hall may have been designed and built by William Booth of Stoney Middleton, the mason responsible for Paine's Chatsworth Stables. See List description for more details. (2)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2403 7615 (29m by 46m) (Centre)
FROGGATT, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 1 2020 9:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.