Skip to main content

Monument record MDR3978 - Ladywash Mine, Sir William Hill Road, Eyam

Type and Period (2)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Victorian - 1860 AD to 1880 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Well preserved chimney dating from 1860-1880 period when mine worked by Eyam Mining Co. The site. Other buildings dating from same period require examinatination. Possible boiler house, powder house etc (1) In 1947-9, the mine was at 104 fathoms level, possibly the deepest in Britain at the time . In 1714 sough started to Old Ladywash. Mine starts in 1740 as vein worked from the west. Frank Rebum, Castlegate Farm was manager at Ladywash and a Glebe Mine Director. Mine closed 1987 and most buildings apart from chimney demolished. (2) Drained via Stoke sough begun 1770, reached Ladywash 1755 (3) The main surviving feature of interest at Ladywash Mine is the chimney from a demolished horizontal pumping and winding engine house. The engine shaft gives access to an extensive 20th century disused mine; it is not clear how much historic interest remains underground. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference:
  • <2> Personal Observation: Rieuwerts, J. 1990. Pers. Comm.. 1990.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference:
  • <4> Bibliographic reference:
  • <5> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Ladywash Mine.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. p 175-6, Site no. B7.



Grid reference Centred SK 2187 7753 (87m by 77m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 19 2013 1:02PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.