Monument record MDR3985 - Possible medieval settlement site, Lawrence Field
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LONGHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARROW (Undated)
[SK 2520 7955] SETTLEMENT [G.T.] (1) Upland village site, probably of the Iron Age, on Lawrence Field. The settlement is of an irregular oval type approximately 390 yds long by 220 yds wide and is on the side of the hill, defended on the uphill side by a slight ditch. It is divided off by twelve or more walls. Two hutments at the south-east end [See plan AO:62:229:1] are in a fairly good state of preservation. The tumuli on the east section of the Settlement have been opened. Scheduled. (2-3) Excavated in 1959-60 and found to be probably Late Saxon or Early Medieval. (4) Survey 1/2500 correct. Another possible hut site at SK 25417956 surveyed at 1/2500. Maximum height of walls of hutments 0.5m. Maximum height of banks 0.3m. No trace of tumuli seen. (5) Settlement in Lawrence field comprising enclosure with a wall of large upright orthostats in part filled with dry coursed masonry. It has an inturned entrance and measures 350m x 200m. 2 oval huts occur in the SE portion of the enclosure with walls up to .3m high. The enclosure walls are .5m high. The enclosure is divided internally by c.12 more walls representing linear clearance. Excavation in 1959-60 showed the complex to be of C11/C12 date. Several sherds of glazed pottery were recovered, part of a flat quern and peat smelted lead ore. Excellent example of upland assarting (taking areas into fields) of medieval period. (6) Photographic record and sketch plan (10-11)
- <1> SDR11746 Map: O.S. 25" 1959.
- <2> SDR15353 Article in serial: Cole, W M. 1930-1937. 'The Longshaw earthworks', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Vol. 4, pp 362-363.
- <3> SDR691 Scheduling record:
- <4> SDR13314 Bibliographic reference: R2 DJC 30-JUL-63.
- <5> SDR6371 Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 16-NOV-65.
- <6> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p. 132, 134.
- <8> SDR18077 Index: NDAT. NDAT 1193. 1193.
- <9> SDR17288 Archive: Butcher, L H. 1":1mile map; Roman Sites in North Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Staffordshire, Sheffield City Museum Collection. Acc. No. SHEFM:1976.1061 D13.
- <10> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. Sketch plan: Butcher.
- <11> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7402.1-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2519 7953 (420m by 292m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2015 3:14PM